Chelsi Graphic’s SEO Checklist for Small Business Websites
Chelsi Graphics, LLC is offering this 2018 SEO Checklist for Small Business Websites. This list of steps is an aid to handling your own Search Engine Optimization (SEO).
Hover over bold text in this list with your cursor to obtain additional information such as definitions, explanations, etc.
Prepare for an “Optimized” Website
- Choose a domain name (aka: URL) and .
- A domain name that does not bring up a website is not necessarily available; it may be “owned” already.
- Incorporate your primary keyword into your Domain Name, if possible.
- Be descriptive, but simplistic.
- Do not use multiple domains that point at the same website.
- Search engines penalize this practice.
- For multiple domains, use the main URL, forward (redirect) any additional domain names.
- Gather and organize your information, (i.e., copy, images, videos, etc.)
- If you’re paying a web designer or developer, don’t pay them for what you can do.
- Give some thought, if not research time, to . Without a target, an your SEO Checklist is like a shot in the dark.
- Browse other websites to get an idea of what you need, and what you want.
- Do not duplicate any other website; only get ideas to implement into your unique site.
- Learn a bit about web development, .
- Optimize content ( , , , etc.) on each page.
- Explain the topic of each of your pages; your information should add value to visitors; filling a need.
- Use descriptive copy to get your message across.
- Keep text concise and pertinent, catchy and informative; keep users from ;
- Content should include at least 100 words on each page. Images that contain wording do not count as text by search engines.
- Common speech patterns are best in your text, in addition to bulleted, easily read copy.
- Include your in context.
- Use only one “H1” tag on each page, before any other , preferably containing your keyword.
- Use additional “H” tags (i.e., H2, H3, …)
- with text should be short and descriptive.
- Include images and videos whenever possible.
- Use descriptive filenames for all images and videos.
- Include “ALT tags” for each image and video.
- Use on each page; when possible, include your keyword.
- Include for each page of approximately, but no more than, 160 characters, that include your primary keyword.
- Test to be sure your site is responsive to various web platforms (browsers), such as Firefox, Chrome, Safari, Edge, etc.
- Your site must be mobile friendly, or have a mobile counterpart.
- Google and Bing are no longer as focused on keywords as they once were. But some keyword research is advised. A great deal of help is available online.
- Check out high-ranking competitors’ sites.
- Do not duplicate content; simply research.
- What keywords are in their text?
- Who does the site link to and why?
- Include in addition to keywords.
- Do not just list keywords; content must flow sensibly for readers so Google will list your site.
- Write fresh content; infrequent quotes are acceptable, but do not plagiarize content from any outside source.
- Be sure to link only to valid, live websites.
- Search-friendly anchor text for internal links, as well as hyperlinks, are best practice.
- The text visitors click to link elsewhere should be descriptive of where they’re going when they click.
- Test all links or run a utility to eliminate errors.
For WordPress Users Only
- Install and utilize the
- This is currently the premier SEO plugin – and it’s free! Filling in the Yoast criteria for each page and post is the simple way to get a handle on your optimization.
- Check Yoast SEO errors and, at minimum, correct the red markers.
This SEO Checklist is a good beginning to your optimization strategy. Search engines such as Google and Bing offer tools to help increase your search rankings and track the status of your website. My next post topic will cover these tools. In a later post I will explain how to use Social Media to increase your web visibility.
I hope this information is profitable. If you need help with web design, content, or anything else web related Chelsi Graphics, LLC is available. Blessings!